Card issuers and issuer processors enable plan administrators to offer FSA/HRA debit card programs to employer clients. Any issuer or issuer processor using the SIGIS Technical Specification to process IIAS transactions or 90% Rule exceptions is required to be a SIGIS member. Additionally, issuers and issuer processors play an important role in supporting plan administrators with support when FSA/HRA cardholders have questions about card purchases at participating merchants. Plan Administrators support programs to the respective employer and the respective plan participants.
Membership in SIGIS offers issuers and issuer processors access to the following programs:
- SIGIS IIAS Transaction Processing and Data Retention Technical Specification – the SIGIS Specification outlines the requirements needed for merchants, acquirers, processors, card issuers and plan administrators to support an IIAS.
- SIGIS Eligible Product List – the SIGIS List is a valuable resource in the development of plan criteria for identifying eligible products. The SIGIS List represents a unique tool that provides an industry-vetted list of eligible products that can be used in the administration of FSA/HRA card programs. See the Eligible Product List Criteria publication for more information.
- Regulatory Impact – SIGIS actively engages with the IRS and Treasury Department on rules impacting the use of health benefit cards. SIGIS has led efforts to clarify item eligibility and changes required by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- 90% Rule Program – offering FSA/HRA cardholders the opportunity to use their cards at registered 90% Rule merchants is a great way to increase the convenience and usability of an FSA/HRA card program. It is noted that transactions at 90% Rule stores are not auto-substantiated and plan administrators will need to follow their policies for substantiation of such purchases, most likely asking cardholders to forward their sales receipts. Visit the 90% Rule Merchant Attestation for more information.
- Education – Receive SIGIS communications on important issues that impact regulations, card usage and approvals.
- Help Desk – Ability to contact the SIGIS Help Desk as an educational resource for card acceptance issues.